Is Work/Life Balance Dead?
By Jessica Drake
We asked our Facebook followers if they thought work/life balance was dead. The majority of respondents, 65 percent, agreed that work/life balance is dead. You know what else is dead? Me, after trying to do all the things, check all the boxes and be everything to everyone at home and at work.
I like to think I was better at managing the pull early in my career. But if I’m honest, I think I was just more resilient and didn’t have as many people or things depending on me. It was easier to come in early or stay late and still have time leftover for myself.
Now, it’s a juggling act to prioritize everything. And you know what…some things that used to make the list don’t. Ideally, those things are trivial. But every once in a while, I forget a whopper: a relative’s birthday, meeting at work or simply being thankful.
Over the years, things have shifted. Things that used to be compartmentalized have spilled into each other and I’ve learned that at the end of the day, it’s all life. The balance has to be within each of us. There will be times when the alignment is off and we’ll need to correct the course. Take the time to check in with yourself and acknowledge your balance.
If it’s off, here are four things you can do to realign it:
1. Recognize your value.
Take care of yourself first. There’s a reason flight attendants say to put your oxygen mask on first before helping another person. Do something for yourself daily. It can be as simple as listening to an audiobook or podcast while you get ready.
2. Be intentional in your choices.
When you make the decision to do something, be fully present. Multi-tasking is a bad thing. Prove me wrong. You aren’t devoting your whole self to anything. It’s OK to say no if you aren’t able to be invested.
3. Give without regret.
It may seem contradictory to think about giving when we’re talking about prioritizing scant resources. But giving—of your time, talents, finances or expertise—is rewarding and just might be the fuel you didn’t know you needed.
4. Run your own race.
In our hyper-connected world, it’s easy to compare and covet what we see in our news feed. Don’t get distracted by those half-truths. Pour that energy into your situation and you will reap results.

Comments
Post a Comment